While motherhood is one of the best (if not THE best) jobs in the world, it is easy to find ourselves at the bottom of our own priority list. As moms, we do anything when it comes to taking care of our kids and our families…but what about ourselves? Somewhere along this motherhood journey, we’re sent the message that taking care of ourselves or putting ourselves first every now and then is selfish and we often feel a tremendous amount of guilt when we do. Well moms….it’s time we stop believing this and start giving ourselves permission to take a much needed “mommy time out” when we need one! But hey, I get it…it’s not easy to find time just for ourselves when we’re busy working all day, getting dinner on the table, shuttling the kids to soccer practice and ballet class and whew!….finally putting them to bed! Unfortunately, there aren’t any secret extra hours of the day so we just need to claim that time for ourselves however and whenever we can!
Here are some suggestions to help you unplug, recharge and renew yourself so that you can take care of you!
- Treat yourself! Whether it’s a day at the spa or hanging out at your local coffee shop and ordering your favorite cup of joe, you deserve to feel special and do something just for YOU!
- Exercise! Hit the gym, sign up for that yoga class or simply take a leisurely walk outside. The point is get yourself moving and a chance to clear out the cobwebs.
- Relax! Whether you enjoy taking a nice bath, getting a massage or curling up with a good book- take some time to unwind.
- Reconnect with friends! There’s nothing like a “Girls Night Out” with your friends to stimulate some fun and laughter!
- Date Night! Hire a babysitter or beg your best friend to watch your kids so you and your spouse or partner can spend some quality time together…just the two of you and remember what life was like before you had kids!
Remember moms, we can’t pour from an empty cup. In order to give our best to others, we have to take care of ourselves first. So don’t forget to carve out a little time for just for YOU!
Image courtesy of savit keawtaveeat FreeDigitalPhotos.net
©The Sleepytime Teacher, LLC All Rights Reserved